1. It Gives You a Voice! Your opinion really does matter, and it can help shape the future of your child’s school. The PTA allows you to speak up, improve the quality of your child’s education, and be part of the solution.
2. It Helps the School. District and state budget cuts make schools dependent on help from the PTA. From supporting teachers and administrators, to donating much needed supplies and learning materials, the PTA ensures your child has the best educational experience possible.
3. You’ll Spend More Time with Your Family. Often, parents are hesitant about joining the PTA because they worry it will cut into family time. However, most PTA activities can be done with your child(ren). And, for parents of older children who may desire less parental involvement and more independence, the PTA allows you to remain involved in your child’s life and education without being intrusive.
4. You’ll Know What’s Going On. Ever feel like you’re out of the loop when it comes to school news? Joining the PTA ensures you’ll stay connected to everything going on at Hillcrest. Through the PTA website postings, weekly newsletter, and active Facebook group, you’ll find out about events and school changes before they happen and can ask questions at any time.
5. You’ll Make Friends. Sometimes, the best friends are those who understand exactly what you’re going through on a daily basis. Through the PTA, you’ll meet other parents with kids in your child’s grade level who understand how hard it can be to enforce bedtime or make it out of the house on time in the morning.
6. You Can Showcase Your Talents. If you’ve ever dreamed of being a chef or teacher or dancer or event planner or writer or photographer, the PTA has a place for you. Show off your talents, do what you love, and help your child’s school in the process. Volunteering can be FUN! We promise.
7. The PTA Works with Your Schedule. No matter how busy you are or what your schedule is like, the PTA can work with you to find ways you’re able to volunteer. Opportunities exist during the school day, in the evenings, and on weekends, and many things can be done from the comfort of your living room.
8. Improve Your Resume. Volunteer experience not only increases your job skills, but it shows potential employers your passion, commitment, and character. In today’s competitive job market, this can make a big difference when applying for a job.
9. You’ll Set a Good Example.Joining the PTA shows your child she is important to you. It also teaches her the value of education and of helping others.
10. It Helps Your Child Succeed. Research shows that children of involved parents perform better academically and have fewer disciplinary problems at school than kids of uninvolved children. This success will continue throughout your child’s school career.